What: 36th Annual South West Popular and American Culture Association Conference
Theme: ‘Many Faces, Many Voices: Intersecting Borders in Popular and American Culture’, which has a new strand on Mothers, Motherhood and Mothering in Popular Culture.
Where: Albuquerque, New Mexico
When: 11-14 February 2015
Deadline for submissions: 1 November 2014
Proposals are now being accepted for the newly established section area, Mothers, Motherhood, and Mothering in Popular Culture. In this inaugural session, we are looking for papers that address mothers, motherhood, and/or mothering, as seen within popular culture, such as seen through:
- representations of mothers, motherhood, and/or mothering including pregnancy, comparison to fathers,
- experiences of mothers, motherhood, and/or mothering and variances by race/ethnicity, genders, class, age, etc.
- theories related to mothers, motherhood, and/or mothering,
- studies about/with mothers,and
- pedagogical applications of research/writing relating to the topic.
- Mother: the time period from when one becomes pregnant throughout childrearing years (Williams, 2005).
- Motherhood: refers to the sociocultural/historical construction—the social norm, sometimes referred to as the “institution” of motherhood,
- Mothering: the experiences and beliefs of being a mother (See O’Reilly, 2004; Rich, 1995, 1976 for discussion on the distinction between motherhood and mothering).
*Papers incorporating intersectionalities of gender/sex, race/ethnicity, age, ability and/or class are particularly encouraged. Papers from graduate students are welcomed!
- Submit proposals of up to 300-400 words to http://conference2015.southwestpca.org/
- Individual Presentation: Each presentation will last approximately 15 minutes.
- Panel: If you want to propose a panel with multiple papers, please put each person’s individual paper abstract on a separate proposal form in the database. Each abstract should also contain information such as panel title, panel chair, etc.
Deadline for submission: November 1, 2014
Email Area Chair: Dr Anna CohenMiller: email@example.com
Visit conference website